Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Man in Black

Lately, I have been absolutely obsessed with the "Serial" podcast.  I am a huge fan of true crime stories so when a friend first told me about it a few months ago, I just had to check it out.  This was the first season of Serial (which originally aired in the Fall of 2014).  Over the course of 12 episodes, reporter Sarah Koenig delves into the police files and trial transcripts, re-interviews witnesses to try to find out who killed Hae Min Lee.  Hae was a 17 year old high school student in Baltimore, Maryland.  She disappeared on January 13, 1999 and her body was discovered in a shallow grave a few weeks later.  Her ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was tried and convicted of her murder.  He is currently serving a life sentence, but did they convict the wrong man?

My original idea for Hope's "Man in Black" book was to use a black silhouette of a man to raise the question, "Who Killed Hae?"  This idea morphed into the pages you see above.  I rifled through my stash of citrasolv pages and initially found an image of a man in a black hoodie.  I planned to use his obscured face--more his outline--for my man in black.  I wanted to trace the outline of his body by tearing the page edge.  Then when you turn the page, you see a picture of Adnan's face.  The picture of the guy in the hoodie was not matching up with the picture I had of Adnan., so I abandoned it.  To my surprise, when I tore the citrasolv background page to trace the shape of Adnan's body, I could see an image of the back of a man.  Can you see it in the top photo?  It could almost be Adnan's back.  His head...his hair line...the back of his neck...the outline of the shoulder...I must say, I love it when things like this happen in my artwork!   

For the rest of my spread, I cut out the letters for the Serial podcast logo, added some blood splatter with red acrylic paint and a little "crime" scene tape.  When you turn the page, you see Adnan and on the opposite page, there is an old picture of Hae Min Lee.  I stamped text onto deli paper and adhered it to the page with matte gel medium.  I wasn't sure if the stamped text would show up on the citrasolv background, but when I applied the matte medium onto the citrasolv surface, it began to bleach out the area.  This created a cleaner background for my text which made it much more visible.  

Sunday, May 3, 2015

Encyclopaedia Britannia

I was the last one to work in Amy's book for this Altered Book Round Robin.  When I received the book, I was astounded at all of the amazing spreads that the artists before me had contributed to this book!  It had me quite stumped for some time to come up with an idea that had not already been done and what technique I would use...

I thought about doing something on the crown jewels but could not find the components to put together a spread that I was happy with. I considered a spread showcasing the Jaguar, Britain's luxury car (my hubby's favorite!)...I even thought about doing something in honor of the new Princess of Cambridge recently born to Prince William and Kate, but none of those ideas were giving me a clear vision.

Then I started going through my travel files.  We had visited London (Ireland and Scotland) back in 2009 and I gathered lots of ephemera on that trip.  I wondered if any of it would spark an idea for my spread.  To my surprise, I had collected lots of postcards with typical London scenes.  Then it came to me, I would do a flag pull-out to show off London's famous landmarks.

I started with an extended accordion fold to serve as the base of my pull-out.  I then cut the postcards down to 4" x 1 1/2" sized flags and made them two-sided.  I affixed a total of 35 flags to the accordion base to create my flag pull-out.

I discovered a beautiful London-themed scrapbook page and decided it would make a nice background for the accordion pull-out.  I anchored the base of the accordion by cutting a slit in the left side page and secured it with tape before gluing the adjacent page to the back.  Next, I had to fashion a pull device for the accordion.  After surveying my stash of ribbons, I selected a gold cord and made a tassel from it.  For a finishing touch, I added a fleur-de-lis charm to the tassel.

In the top picture, you can see who the accordion fold sits flat when the book is in the closed position.  Once opened, you can use the tassel to pull the accordion open to the right to reveal the 35 flags with London sights.