Friday, September 22, 2017

Mindfulness Card Swap

After an extended hiatus, I am finally, slowly getting back to creating again and it feels great!  I am  easing my way back to making art on a regular basis by participating in a Mindfulness Card Swap with two other friends.  We brainstormed and came up with a list of twenty mindfulness prompts.  Each month we pick a prompt and create a 4 x 6 card inspired by that prompt.  We make three cards--one for each of the other players and one for ourselves.  In the end, we will have a set of twenty different mindfulness cards.  I am excited to see what our completed deck of cards will look like!  Here is my first card:


The background paper is a gelli print on rice paper.  I was playing with color combinations and liked this antique white with a metallic acrylic paint (DecoArt Luminous Gold).  My girlfriend described it as "butter and sugar."  I tore the gelli prints into 3 x 5 pieces and temporarily mounted them with a glue stick onto my watercolor paper substrate.  I used the scrap pieces of torn rice paper (you can still see some of the paint on the scraps) to stamp the word "breathe."   I adhered that to the background paper.  To finish, I free-motion stitched around the edges with silver thread.  It complemented the metallic flecks in the gelli printed rice paper and provided just a subtle touch of sparkle to complete my card.  Though I was feeling a bit rusty after all these months, I loved the way my cards turned out!!



No comments:

Post a Comment