Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Original Bad Girl

The Altered Ladies' Second AB RR is about to begin.  We have a group of 13 players, including some new faces!  Everyone has selected their books, chosen their themes and the rotation will officially get underway this weekend!

It was downright painful deciding on a theme for my book!  I initially thought I was going to do "Rock Paper Scissors," but that turned out to be a dud of a theme for me.  Then I had this other fabulous idea, but decided to save it for when I had more time to prepare my book for that theme.  In the end, I picked up a copy of Stieg Larsson's "The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest" and immediately, the theme "Bad Girls" came to mind.  The more I thought about bad girls, the more I liked this theme.

I created a prompt page on the inside front cover.  I painted the background with gray acrylic paint and then used a brick pattern rubber stamp to build my brick wall.  I was envisioning a wall full of graffiti and a collection of posters.  I listed my prompts on posters I made and placed them on my wall.

My sign-in page is located on the back inside cover.  It mimics the graffiti wall on the front inside cover.

How could I resist featuring Eve and the Garden of Eden for my initial spread?  After all, she is the original Bad Girl!  I used a napkin transfer for my background.

I cut out (free hand) a serpent using this snake print duct tape.  His eyes are black swarovski crystals.  The apple is from a book jacket I had.

Eve is an image that I printed out onto tissue paper.  I had to glue a few additional sheets of plain white tissue behind the image so that she would not disappear completely into the background.  For the longest time, I felt that this page was missing something, but I didn't know what it was--until I was shopping in my favorite thrift store and saw a woman who had grabbed a handful of artificial ivy vines!  At that moment, I knew I had to get my hands on some of that ivy, but the woman was going to buy it all!  My girlfriend and I scoured the store and found several other types of artificial plants before we finally spotted a small bunch of ivy that the woman had apparently overlooked!  The size of these ivy leaves was perfect for my spread.  I used a vine to frame Eve in the Garden of Eden.  I had to peel apart the pages I had already glued together, but now my spread was complete.

I created a pocket behind the left side of the page to hold a card that explains my technique and the materials I used.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting how you achieved the final product and theme. I love bad girl themes and all the participants will enjoyyour theme.