Friday, October 4, 2013

Weathered Beauty



Talk about serendipity!  My next hybrid chunky page was for Su and her theme was Weathered Beauty.  Can you guess what I did?  Since I was already boiling books, I stuck a few more remnants into the pot thinking I would be able to use something for Su's chunky page.

I selected one 4 x 4 panel and wanted to create a Haiku poem for my page.  I am not a huge poetry person, but I started out by writing short phrases relating to weathered beauty.  Elegant decay, discarded, rotting, abandoned...In the end, I came up with two poems that I liked, but this one suited Su's theme the best:

Rotting and exposed
Revealing nature's beauty
The magic unfolds

I printed my Haiku poem onto vellum and embellished it with a twig I found on my morning walk.  I used wire to attach the poem to a smaller 3 x 3 panel.  I then used foam mounts to place the 3 x 3 onto the 4 x 4 to complete my chunky page for Su.   I chose not to cover the leaf impression you see on the back of the page.  Boiling books is a lot like Christmas.  You never know what you are going to get until after the boiling is done and you open up the pages!

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I'm a huge fan of wabi sabi and finding the beauty in natural, weathered and decaying, so this especially touched my heart. I do want to learn how to do that boiling technique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your poem and I love your page. They compliment each other so perfectly. X Jane http://janeheinrichs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete