Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Inspired by "1000 Journals"



During her recent visit, my friend and fellow Altered Lady, Pat, passed along an art journal that she had received as an alumna of Art Camp for Women (run by my fellow Sketchbook sister, Lori!)  This Art Camp Journal was inspired by the movie "1000 Journals."  The introduction in this journal (#1134) says "we got excited about creating art communities around every woman who has attended Art Camp.  One thing that all alumni report back to us about Camp is how much they enjoyed the camaraderie of other women artists.  The Art Camp Journal Project helps you create a little "art camp" where you live by sharing the journal with family and friends - supporting you and your art between Camps."  Isn't that wonderful?

Pat started this journal by creating 2 spreads.  Then she passed it on to me to add another spread or two.  I will pass the journal on to another person after I finish working in it.  When the pages of the journal are full, they ask that the journal be brought back or mailed back to Art Camp.  In the meantime, each artist is invited to send photos of their pages to be uploaded onto Art Camp's blog (www.artcampforwomen.com/blog).   How fun is that?

I always find that blank page is so much more intimidating (to begin) to work on than the pages of an altered book.  My spread began with a choice of colors that I wanted to work with.  I went with bold, strong colors--red and black.  I took out my Jill Berry-designed "Rivermap" stencil from Artistcellar (thank you, Lisa!) and LOVED the look of the design in these colors!  I decided to use a pulled paper background technique (gluing strips of a Japanese language newspaper to the page and later peeling it off).  I then stamped "venture to play" onto the background.

2 comments:

  1. Holy awesomeness! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorena, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete