Friday, June 21, 2013

Napkin Transfer Wine Collars




The idea for making these napkin transfer wine collars came to me when I was trying to figure out a birthday gift to make for a friend that lives part-time in France--at least she would be in France for her birthday.  I wanted something that would survive the journey halfway around the world and not be too costly to mail.
These handmade wine collars fit the bill perfectly.  Who in France doesn't like their wine?

I took 140 lb. watercolor paper and adhered a single-ply floral napkin with some watered down Elmer's glue.  I added a layer of clear gloss glaze which will help them repel moisture.  Since these wine collars are intended to mark each person's glass, they each had to be different, so I used 6 different floral napkins.

I used a circle cutter to cut out 3" circles (the size of a standard wine glass base).  I made a straight slit to the center and then cut a 5/8" hole in the middle of each disc for the wine stem.  Would have been nice to have a hole punch to do this but the reach was not far enough.

I was able to get 9 discs out of each sheet of watercolor paper which will make a total of 9 sets (of 6) wine collars!

No comments:

Post a Comment