Sunday, March 29, 2015

Secret Obsessions




Su's Dark Side theme is "Secret Obsessions."  I must admit, I have long been fascinated with body adornment and modification.  From ancient cultural practices like Chinese foot binding, lip plates or discs, brass neck rings and corseting, to the more modern practices of tattooing, piercing and yes, even vajazzling, all are intended to beautify the human form.

For my spread in Su's book, I began with a picture of a nude female torso--a blank canvas of sorts.  As I glanced through the pages of Su's book, I discovered that a few of the pages could almost look like a full body tattoo. That's when I decided to print my female torso onto vellum because I wanted the design of the underlying page to show through.  I then used the back side of the printed vellum for a more subtle effect.

Adhering vellum is not the easiest thing to do.  Most times, I will use eyelets or brads because unless you can find a way to cleverly disguise it, tape will usually show through.  After some research, it sounded like spray adhesive was the way to go.  I applied a light coat of spray adhesive to the back of the vellum.  After a few seconds, I placed the vellum onto one side of the page.  This part was a little tricky and it took me two tries to get the first half of the page down in the right position.  I thought that pre-folding the vellum would help guide me to position the vellum in the correct place.  However, if the crease ends up anywhere else but in the gutter, you will see another visible crease in the vellum.  After some work, I managed to get the second half of the page properly adhered and then trimmed the overhang from the pages.

Up close, you almost can't tell there is a picture of a nude body.  The image becomes more visible the further away you are.  I also love how the page design appears to tattoo half of her body.  That left me to explore another form of body adornment--a nipple piercing--on the other side.



    




1 comment:

  1. The colors, the pattern of the tattoos and the piercing all create stunning imagery executed to perfection!

    ReplyDelete