Debbie's theme is "Steampunk Floral Fantasy." Normally, I would jump at a theme like this--the metal and hardware that is Steampunk are elements that always appeal to me. Yet, I was stumped for the longest time about what I would do in Debbie's book. At first, I thought I would do a sort of pop-up mechanism, but it just wasn't coming together for me.
When I hit a block like that, I usually have to abandon the work that I've done thus far and go back to the drawing board--square one. I began by going to my stash of embellishments and started to pull out everything "steampunk." There were chains and gears watch parts and all sorts of gadgets, but then I saw the Barbie dress! It was pink and had a corseted bodice. There was gold trim on the laces and the skirt was tulle. It was a fairy dress, no, a prom dress! Best of all, I knew I could alter it and make it into Steampunk fashion.
I found some dark brown lace and created an overlay for the skirt from it Then it needed a touch of metal, so I added the chain. The dress fit nicely in the center of the book, so I used leather-like black paper and die-cut flowers in metallic shades to create this background. Funny how just a single item can lead to the creation of an entire spread. All it took was the dress. I call it Steampunk Prom or Steampunk Barbie!